Everybody loves babies. They are cute, adorable, little bundles of joy. It’s always fun to go visit Mom and her new little one in the hospital, but what about after she and her family go home? This is when life gets real. When things like laundry and dishes pile up, the house becomes a mess, and sometimes self-care is neglected. If someone you know has had a baby, go one step beyond just hospital visits. Here are some ways to show kindness to your friend or someone you know who has just had a baby after they are home from the hospital.
1. Visit and Listen- When you visit your friend, listen carefully to what she says and tells you, this will help you know what she needs the most.
2. Offer to cook- Instead of just taking a meal, offer to cook one at your friend’s house. She will appreciate the smells of a home-cooked meal wafting through the house.
3. Do the laundry- Ask if you can do the laundry on a Saturday afternoon.
4. Do the dishes- If you visit, and there are dishes in the sink, offer to do them.
5. Take the kids to school- New Moms will appreciate the extra help in getting her kids ready and off to school.
6. Order baby supplies online- Order baby supplies like diapers and wipes online and have them delivered to her house.
7. Do meal prep- If you don’t have time to cook a whole meal, offer to do meal prep like cutting up veggies, meats, and other ingredients for the week. This will save everyone time during the cooking process.
8. Clean your friend’s house- If you can afford it, offer to pay someone to clean her house once a week for a month. Or clean it yourself at least twice during the first month she and baby are home.
9. Watch the baby- Offer to watch the new baby while she takes a nap for a few hours or takes a nice, hot shower or bath.
10. Pick up her groceries- Order your friend’s groceries for her and go pick them up.
11. Buy your friend a gift- Pick up something she has been wanting, like a new book or movie.
12. Pick up the kids from school- If you’re available, offer to pick her kids up from school.
13. Drop off/Pick up the dry cleaning- If your friend’s husband wears dress clothes to work, offer to drop off and pick up her dry cleaning.
14. Walk the dog- Offer to walk your friend’s dog in the afternoon when no one may be home.
15. Take your friend to doctor’s appointments- If you’re available, offer to take her to her first doctor’s appointments after birth.
16. Give the new Mom some space- Instead of just dropping by, call and ask if she is up for company. Sometimes new Moms just want some alone time with their babies without distraction.
17. Make a restaurant gift basket- Make a gift basket of restaurant gift cards that deliver in your area with menus from each restaurant.
18. Fold the laundry- You can help immensely by folding the never-ending piles of laundry.
19. Pamper her- Buy your friend a gift card to get a manicure or pedicure, facial, or massage to use later on.
20. Hire someone to do the yard work- If its spring or summer, hire someone to cut the grass. This is one less chore that Dad will have to do. Instead, he will have more time to bond with the baby.
21. Bring the spa to her- Do some research and see if there is a mobile spa in your area that will come and give your friend a manicure and/or pedicure.
22. Take the pets to the vet- Offer to take their pet to the vet if they are due for a checkup.
23. Bring your friend flowers- A beautiful bouquet will light up any room.
24. Bring your friend lunch- Pick up food from her favorite restaurant for lunch.
New moms go through many emotions after having a baby, and the pressure of keeping the normal routine going can be overwhelming, especially with fluctuating hormones and lack of sleep. These ladies need their closest friends and family the most after coming home from the hospital. If you know someone who just had a baby, choose one or two of these ideas and shower her with love and kindness today.