Acts of kindness spread goodness and encourage empathy such that being kind becomes its own virtuous circle. Here, I want to share with you an incredible opportunity to spend some time explicitly involved in spreading kindness as well as the opportunity to reflect on it in writing to share the stories of kindness even further. There are prizes, including a trip to Japan, involved!
The combination of an essay contest with a call to action is unique and hopes to truly build a world in the same vision as the essay theme: a society full of kindness.
For more information, visit https://www.goipeace.or.jp/en/work/essay-contest
Here is the invitation and some of the requirements, as published by the Goi Foundation:
Young people from around the world are invited to enter the 2019 International Essay Contest for Young People organized by the Goi Peace Foundation.
The theme for this year’s contest is: “CREATING A SOCIETY FULL OF KINDNESS.” As the 20th anniversary special edition, this year’s contest involves action in addition to writing.
The deadline for entry is June 15, 2019.
Prize winners will receive a cash award and will be invited to Japan for the award ceremony. Please see the complete guidelines below or at https://www.goipeace.or.jp/en/work/essay-contest.
We look forward to the participation of many young people in your communities!
May Peace Prevail on Earth
The Goi Peace Foundation
“Creating a Society Full of Kindness”
What does “Kindness” mean to you? How do you think we can create a kinder society?
Carry out ten acts of kindness, and then use your experience as inspiration in writing your essay (your essay does not need to be about your acts of kindness).
As a special edition, this year’s contest involves action in addition to writing, so that participating in the contest directly contributes to creating a better world. Please note, however, that only the essay itself will be considered in the selection process.
Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2019) in one of the following age categories: a) Children (ages up to 14) b) Youth (ages 15 – 25)
Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German, or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, excluding essay title and cover page. Essays may be typed or printed.
Entries submitted by postal mail must include a cover page indicating
(1) your name (2) category (Children or Youth) (3) age as of June 15, 2019 (4) gender (5) nationality (6) address (7) e-mail (8) phone number (9) school name (if applicable) (10) your essay title (11) language (12) word count (13) list of ten acts of kindness you performed (describe briefly).
Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group. Please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
* Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
*A cover page template is available to download. You may also create your own cover page with all items (1)-(13) above.
* We are unable to confirm receipt of essays.
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
1st Prize: Certificate, prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$900 as of Feb. 2019) … 1 entrant
2nd Prize: Certificate, prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$450 as of Feb. 2019) and gift … 2 entrants
3rd Prize: Certificate and gift … 5 entrants
Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift … 25 entrants
* 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony to be held in Tokyo, Japan on November 23, 2019, and will receive the Minister of Education Award. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizer.)
* Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
* All prize winners will be announced on October 31, 2019, on this website. Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December 2019.
* We are unable to answer individual inquiries concerning contest results.
Entries must be received by June 15, 2019 (23:59 your local time).
If you wish to submit your entry by postal mail, send to:
International Essay Contest c/o The Goi Peace Foundation
1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093, Japan
For further inquiries concerning the International Essay Contest for Young People, please contact [email protected]
The Goi Peace Foundation
The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology of Japan
Japanese National Commission for UNESCO, Japan Private High School Federation
Tokyo Metropolitan Board of Education, Japan Broadcasting Corporation, Nikkei Inc.
SEIKO HOLDINGS CORPORATION, PLUS CORPORATION