This week, I thought I would share some movies and television shows about kindness. I love to watch positive, uplifting things because it’s good for the mind and the soul. Positive entertainment is also a refreshing change from the chaos of the media and the graphic nature of most television shows and popular movies these days. Some of my favorites from this list include Pay It Forward, The Blind Side, Tyler Perry’s Good Deeds and Life As A House. Although these aren’t entirely clean movies, the overall theme makes up for the rougher parts.
1. Pay It Forward (PG-13)- This movie is about a teacher who challenges his class to make a difference in the world and take action. Trevor McKinney comes up with the idea of paying favors forward to three people to keep the chain of kindness going. I love this movie because it shows how we can all have an impact on each other.
2. The Blind Side (PG-13)- This movie is based on a true story about a homeless high school football player that is “adopted” by a wealthy family. It’s one of my favorites because it shows that no matter where you come from or what your circumstances are, you can achieve great things.
3. Tyler Perry’s Good Deeds (PG-13)- A businessman is jolted out of the routine of his normal life after meeting a struggling single Mom who works on the cleaning crew of his office building.
4. Life As A House (R)- This movie is about a man who finds out he has cancer who rebuilds his relationship with his estranged son and others around him. It is one of my favorite movies of all time.
5. I Am Sam (PG-13)- This movie is about a mentally challenged man who is raising his daughter. Once she turns seven and her intellectual capacity surpasses her father, a social worker believes that Lucy would be better off in foster care. However, thanks to a lawyer named Rita, who takes on Sam’s case pro bono, he might have a fighting chance of keeping Lucy.
6. Winnie the Pooh (2011-G)- I have always been a fan of Winnie the Pooh and his friends. Even though they have their quirks, kindness, and compassion always win out in the end.
7. Dolphin Tale (PG)- A dolphin who has lost her tail is saved after friends and family convince a doctor who specializes in prosthetics to design a new tail for her.
8. Letters to God (PG)- A young boy with cancer writes letters to God, inspiring his friends, family, and community. These letters wind up in the hands of a postman who is at a crossroads in his life. Unsure of what to do with them, the decision he makes bolsters boys shining spirit and unshakeable faith.
9. Same Kind of Different as Me (PG-13)- An art dealer becomes friends with a homeless man to save his marriage and put his life back together.
10. Untamed Heart (PG-13)- A quiet busboy and a waitress strike up an unlikely friendship after she is attacked and he saves her life. I love how kind she is to him in this movie because he is different and a loner.
11. Wonder (PG)- This movie is about a little boy named Auggie who has a facial deformity that has prevented him from going to a normal school. Many people around him struggle with their acceptance of him because he is different. However, Auggie soon becomes an unlikely hero, and his journey unites those around him. I love this story because it reminds us that we are all different and unique, that we are all born to stand out in our own way.
12. New Amsterdam (TV)- New Amsterdam has become one of my favorite new shows. It’s about a doctor named Max Goodwin who sets out to go against the grain of the elite bosses above him and provide extraordinary care to his patients, no matter what. I love this show because it shows that thinking out of the box, kindness, and compassion can make a difference in people’s lives in more ways than one.
13. God Friended Me (TV)- This is my second favorite TV show of the moment. It’s about a guy named Miles who is an atheist who has his own podcast. God has been contacting him on Facebook with friend requests of people he is supposed to help. I love this show because of its original concept and positive outcomes each week. It just makes you feel good.
14. Full House (TV)- This classic sitcom portrays life lessons and to always do the right thing, even if it’s difficult.
15. Wonder Pets (TV-Kids)- This show is about a group of classroom pets that go out and save the day. I love how it showcases teamwork, kindness, and compassion. This is a great show for little ones.
16. I Can Only Imagine (PG)- This movie is based on the smash hit of the same name by Christian music group Mercy Me. It is the true story of lead singer Bart Millard’s tumultuous relationship with his Dad. I love this movie because it shows that God can change even the hardest of people and that forgiveness and compassion is the best way to restore relationships.
17. The Kindness Diaries (Netflix)- The host of this show travels on a motorbike and counts on the kindness of strangers for what he needs. I haven’t seen this one personally, but it definitely looks like something worth checking out.
18. Chaos and Kindness (RecycledPercussion.com)- This show is about a rock band called Recycled Percussion who has a residency in Las Vegas. When they aren’t playing music (the chaos part), their passion (kindness) is to give back and change the world.
19. It Could Happen To You (PG)- This movie is based on a true story about a kindhearted cop who offers to split the winnings of his lottery ticket with the waitress he sees at the local diner every day. This movie is another one of my favorites.
20. Kindness Is Contagious– This documentary featuring Catherine Ryan Hyde, author of Pay It Forward is an engaging, feel-good film starring research, statistics, anecdotes and theories about the effects of being kind. The data is interwoven between stories of people from all walks of life about the kindest thing someone has ever done for them.
It is not only essential to spread compassion and kindness in the world, but it is also good to feed our souls with edifying entertainment. This goes for everything from the music we listen to, to the movies we watch and the books we read. The next time, you are looking for something to watch, check out one of these movies. You will definitely want to continue making a difference in the world after watching them.